I want to be an apprentice
- offer the opportunity to study and earn an income while undertaking a qualification.
- can be done by anyone of working age.
- give you the chance to learn new skills while getting paid.
- can be done full-time, part-time or while you’re at school.
You can use your qualification to work anywhere in Australia and around the world.
- General information on traineeships and apprenticeships:
Register your interest in an apprenticeship
You can register your interest in an apprenticeship in a sign industry related business here. In case of any inbound inquiries from employers seeking prospective apprentices we can put you in touch.
I want to hire an apprentice
Boosting Apprenticeship Commencements is a government wage subsidy to encourage employers of any size or industry, Australia-wide, to take on new apprentices and trainees.
Any employer who takes on an apprentice or trainee up until 30 June 2022 can gain access to:
- 50 per cent of the eligible Australian Apprentice’s wages in the first year, capped at a maximum payment value of $7,000 per quarter per Australian Apprentice,
- 10 per cent of the eligible Australian Apprentice’s wages in the second year, capped at a maximum payment value of $1,500 per quarter per Australian Apprentice, and
- 5 per cent of the eligible Australian Apprentice’s wages in the third year, capped at a maximum payment value of $750 per quarter per Australian Apprentice.
For further information on how to apply for the subsidy, including information on eligibility, contact an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider - also refer below for more details about network providers. Guide to incentives for apprentices and employers from Busy at Work
- Australian Apprenticeships Incentive System (AAIS) - from 1 July 2022, an Australian apprentice undertaking a qualification at either Certificate III, IV, Diploma or Advanced Diploma level leading to an occupation on the Australian Apprenticeships Priority Occupation List (includes sign writer) may be eligible for an Apprentice Training Support Payment of up to $5,000 for the first two years of their Australian Apprenticeship ($1,250 paid every six months).
An employer may be eligible for a wage subsidy of:
- 10% of wages paid (maximum $1,500 per quarter) for the first two years;
- 5% of wages paid (maximum $750 per quarter) for the third year.
Eligible employers of Australian Apprentices not in the Priority Occupation List can apply for a hiring incentive of $3,500 paid in two equal six-monthly instalments ($1,750 each) after commencement.
The final date for new entrants to this wage subsidy and hiring incentive is 30 June 2024.
Following the introduction of the AAIS from 1 July 2022, employers claiming incentives for an apprentice or trainee who commenced before 1 July 2022 will continue to be supported under the Australian Apprenticeships Incentives Program (AAIP).
Access more information here.
Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (Apprenticeship Network) is your first point of contact for all queries about apprenticeships.
The Australian Government contracts seven Apprenticeship Network providers to deliver support services nationally through more than 480 field officers and 137 physical locations (shopfronts).
You cannot start an Australian Apprenticeship without an Apprenticeship Network provider.
Apprenticeship Network providers give personalised advice and support services from pre-commencement to completion. Apprenticeship Network providers offer the following support services:
- Universal services:
- essential administrative support
- payment processing
- regular contact
- Targeted services for individuals who need extra support to complete their apprenticeship.
- Visit https://www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/search-aasn to search for Apprenticeship Network providers by state.
- If you are unsure about who to best contact, Sue-Anne Brady from Apprenticeship Support Australia is happy to assist. Sue-Anne can be contacted on 0419 016 606.
- If you are based in South Australia, Rose Caon from Apprenticeship Network provider, MEGT, has experience with facilitating apprenticeships with sign makers. She can be contacted on 0438 405 624.
Register with the ASGA to find an apprentice
You can register your interest in hiring an apprentice with the ASGA here. In case of any inbound inquiries from prospective employees we can put you in touch.
For more information contact Michael Punch on 0448 274 211 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org